At Upshur County SSA, we provide specialized learning programs and services to students with disabilities. This includes adapting the learning environment to meet the unique needs of the student and to ensure that the student has access to the general curriculum. The admission, review, and dismissal (ARD) committee makes the decisions regarding eligibility and placement.
To be eligible for special education and related services, a student must meet the federal definition in one of the following areas: autism, blindness, deafness, emotional disturbance, hearing impairment, intellectual disability, multiple disabilities, orthopedic impairment, other health impairment, specific learning disability, speech or language impairment, traumatic brain injury or visual impairment.
Philosophy for special Education Services
- that all children can and do learn
- that each child is unique individual who needs a secure, caring, and stimulating atmosphere in which to grow and mature emotionally, intellectually, physically, and socially.
- that ever child has the potential to bring something unique and special to the world.
- that parents and students are valued and essential partners in the educational process.
- that students with disabilities should have access to the total school program, including non-academic and extra-curricular activities, and that services delivered should meet standards of accessibility, accountability and quality.
- that given appropriate education services, students with disabilities will achieve academic performance commensurate with their non-disabled peers.
- that meeting the needs of individual students does not lower program standards
- that social development and opportunities in an educational setting prepare students for participation in th society